When I was a little girl, all of us lived across the street from a man who was a persistent smoker, he smoked cigarettes all the time and sporadically, he would even fall asleep with a cigarette in his hand. My dad consistently said that 1 afternoon, my buddy was going to accidentally burn his house down with 1 of those cigarettes. We were not surprised when 1 evening, all of us were awakened by the sound of fire trucks, sure enough, my neighbor’s house was on fire! Thankfully, he was able to escape and he told us later that it hadn’t been a cigarette that caused the fire after all. Since it was in the middle of Wintertime, he had been running 1 of those old fashioned area furnaces in his house. His beach house was old and drafty, and he didn’t have a central heating component or an upgraded HVAC component installed in there. instead, he would only heat with area furnaces (like the doomed 1) or with his fireplace. He said that on that fateful evening, he had run out of firewood and the temperature was steadily dropping inside his house. Since he didn’t have an heating system or another kind of heating plan to use, he decided to turn on his area heating system instead. He said he was only going to leave it on for a little while, just until the interior temperature had heated up a little bit! Unfortunately, he had fallen asleep while the heating system was turned on and his large pet had somehow knocked it over. Once that happened, it had only taken a few minutes for the entire house to ignite and go up in sparks.